Monday, November 19, 2007

2007 TV Season

I meant to write on this weeks ago, but somehow it seems appropriate waited. You know, because we've come that much farther into the season and the industry is facing a writers' strike. Or maybe it seems apt to me because now I understand the shows better and have begun to see--or think I see--where they're going. Ironically, given that I'm a media educator, I get only two channels: NBC and PBS. So the title of this entry is rather misleading; it should be NBC's 2007 Season. Oh, well. Right from the start, when I first heard about the line-up, I was immediately struck by the number of science fiction or comic book shows. No, none of them are directly adapted from comic books, but they are like comic books. Or science fiction. Witness Monday night: Chuck, Heroes, Journeyman. Witness Wednesday night's big show: Bionic Woman. And even Phenomenon, the magician's game show, could be considered science fiction. ("What do you mean? Magic isn't real?!") Oh, and let me be clear here: I like science fiction and comic books. I don't use those labels in a derogatory way.

I'm sure some of you are thinking, Chuck? How is that science fiction? Well, let's see: A guy becomes a spy after an uncountable number of images enter his brain via an e-mail; he sees certain things subconsciously and his brain flashes on images from the database, then he suddenly knows and can explain connections and plots. Hm. Sounds like SF and a comic book to me, especially when you add the larger sort of conspiracy stuff and the sense of humor. It even has a ridiculously attractive superspy female lead (who could almost have stepped from the pages of a superhero comic except that her proportions are anatomically possible).

So on to Heroes. For a full commentary on the first season, see my capsule review from September. I find the quality of this season a little lower than last, but they still do cliffhanging fantastically well and the expanding plot and plot twists continue to suck me in. I do not have the problem with the increasing number of heroes that some people have, but I tend to like sprawling storylines. Clearly, this is the stuff of comic books. I've made that case in detail below, but just, well, consider the premise: superpowered humans whose abilities come from genetic mutation. Hm.

Journeyman? Dan Vassar is a time traveler. 'Nuff said? (And if you get the reference, I owe you a cyber kewpie doll.) I'm not sure if the show is better because it has the family conflict/strife that arises from Dan's inability to control his traveling, but it adds to viewership, I'm sure. (And I love when the son sees his dad disappear, never mind the later "It's cool, Dad" conversation. "You're magic." Okay, maybe I'm a sucker now that I'm a daddy, but that one almost brought a tear to my eye. Maybe 'cause it's like when Elias looks up at me with big brown eyes and says, "Daddy, you're my hero.") Anyway.... Dan Vassar is a newspaper journalist who, in the first episode, finds out he can travel through time. Throughout that first episode, through a series of events, he finds out that each time he travels, he tracks a specific individual; he has some kind of wrong to right regarding that person. In this way, the show follows in the footsteps of earlier shows like Voyagers! (1982–1983) and Quantum Leap (1989–1993). In those shows, however, the protagonists knew they had to fix things, and they had tools or other characters to help them figure out the specific mission of each episode. In Journeyman, Dan has to figure out each mission on his own. There is another traveler, a character tied to his own past, but she doesn't exactly help--well, not usually. As of last week, the series seems to be on the verge of revealing or exploring a deeper plotline, an underlying conspiracy or direction. Dan and the other traveler have been realizing that they are sent or called each time they travel, but the writers have not yet had them expore the deeper meaning of why or who is doing the calling or sending. This is pure comic book stuff--time travel, mission, larger hidden agenda.... Further, there are complications: Dan's brother Jack, a cop, worries that Dan is endangering his family and falling again under the sway of his gambling addiction. This has led to some other law enforcement officials taking a closer look at Dan. As they say, the plot thickens.

And then there's Bionic Woman. It doesn't get much more comic book-y than this. This is a remimagining of the 1976–1978 TV show, which itself was a spinoff from The Six-Million-Dollar Man TV show (1974–1978) starring Lee Majors. In the first episode, Jaime, a bartender who has taken on guardianship of her younger sister, gets in a car accident, nearly dies, and wakes up bionic. There is much conflict around how this happens and around her adjustment to her new reality. The organization behind her transformation is called the Berkut Group, "a clandestine paramilitary group devoted to protecting the world from rogue organizations working to prevent the end of civilization as we know it." Yep, that's the line, said by the group's head, Jonas (Miguel Ferrer, putting his goofy-creepy persona to work very aptly), to Jaime just after our hero has had, let's say, a bit too much to drink. The rest of the dialogue is as follows. Jonas: "So are you in, or are you out?" Jaime: "I'm definitely out. Now I gotta throw up." Well, of course, she's not out. After all, we need a show. Jaime joins, reluctantly--and what's better than a reluctant superhero--and soon faces Berkut's first bionic woman (Katee Sackhoff, better known as Starbuck from Battlestar Galactica, another reimagining), among numerous other foes. This show is part Alias and part Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It's entertaining enough, but it has none of Alias's abiding charm nor any of Buffy's mad language skills and precious little of its sense of irony; and Michelle Ryan is no Jennifer Garner or even Sarah Michelle Gellar. As one friend said to me, It's just not campy enough.

So NBC alone has four shows revolving around science fiction concepts or in the style of comic books. Why is this? What is it in our culture and at this time that makes the networks (well, this network) believe that these kinds of shows will be successful? For that matter, each actually seems to be successful--Heroes is in it second season, and the others have become water-cooler fodder around the country. Sure, sure, there are other reasons for their success--Chuck is a comedy, with its mismatched lovers, high geek cred, marvelously psychopathic CIA operative (Adam Baldwin from Firefly), and superdorky sidekick; Heroes is episodic and filled with beautiful people; Journeyman has a focus on the family that likely draws in viewers who might not otherwise be fans of a show with this premise; Bionic Woman has, well, hot chicks in action (no, I don't mean to be sexist; I'm speaking to a certain image and a certain demographic). But at base, they are all comic book shows. I can't imagine that these shows would have succeeded ten years ago. What is going on in the world now that makes them popular? As a fan of these kinds of shows, I'm glad; I enjoy the heck outta these programs. As a media educator, I have to wonder.

(Images: Heroes c2007 NBC Universal Pictures/Tailwind Productions; Chuck c2007 Warner Bros./College Hill Pictures; Journeyman c2007 20th Century Fox/NBC; Bionic Woman c2007 NBC Universal Television)

28 comments:

Jordan said...

A.Well i agree that the TV shows today that are based on old comic books. I think it is pretty cool that by using computer technology we can make these comic books seem real. Like take Bionic women for example, all of her attachments are made and functioning by computer technology.
B. These shows are popular because of multiple reasons, there are a lot of full length films being made, based comic books. I lot of people today like to see what their favorite characters are going to look like when they are modernized using computer technology. This is what people like to look for on TV shows nowadays.

JD said...

The show lineup sounds almost too nerdy for todays viewers. In a way I like this because I am the nerdy type. I don't think that the older generations of Americans will find these Sci-Fi shows as interesting as the younger generations. I see a lot of similarity to the shows on the Sci-Fi channel as the new shows coming up this season. I have caught a piece of Bionic Woman and I find it very different from some of the past shows I have seen. It has a certain edge to it but does not have a very good hook and is pretty bland overall. I totally agree with Mr. B for the comments on this show.

It seems to me that people are unsure of the future for us and they want to look into the future and claim that technology will help us. They want to believe that people are good and there will be some way to make our world better as it diminishes into the unknown. In this day and age some people think to the future and decide that they are scared because of so many people telling us we are doomed and we can't do anything to correct it. The people that feel this way then turn to alternative methods and that method is make believe and technology. Other then that I really can't decide why these shows have become so popular, maybe our country has turned into a bunch of nerds? :-P

buckharvester0699 said...

I think Chuck is a Prime exaple of the Comic book idea, because some out of this world geek and this good looking girl fighting crime side by side with some cover up of a relationship, its just ridiculous and some of it is starting to just get stupid. As long as the broadcasting company's are getting good ratings, then they are gonna keep going and going until the ratings get bad. I think that the tv stations have run out of popular things to show and who doesn't like comics, so why not expand that and make show almost spin offs of it.

Em said...

I think why we have comic book shows on TV because we have the technology and that is what the people want to see. You look at all the new the technology out in the world right now why not on TV to? That is why I think the shows are so popular because they can take you away from real life and into the technology world. Chuck must get people attention because it something that would most likely never happen in real life. People want to get away and I think thats why people like to watch the show. Bionic Women how many women are like that? Not many . It's almost gives you a fantasy world for a 1/2 hour or in this case a whole line up. The technology world is just a plus I think that is for people who like video games and things like that so that is a bonus for the producers.

Diggity said...

A)Chuck is science fiction? Cool. I kinda wanted to watch this earlier in the season but never bothered, but I did not know it was as over the top as you say it is (a good thing in my opinion.) Still havn't caught up with Heroes, but its on my "list," and I have some free time now so it may pop up sometime. Bionic Woman looks dumb, Superman would kick her tushie anyday. Looks a whole lot like painkiller Jane.

B)I am going to have to take your word on the opinions you've given for these shows, they seem like something that I would like, but I am not having trouble finding how this could appeal to such a massive group of people. Theres a whole channel full of stuff like this (Sci-Fi), but people look down on watching that. Once it goes mainstream though, it becomes ok because if its on the same channel as "The O.C.," There must be something ok about it. Kinda bothers me that this stuff isn't as exclusive as it use to be, but if it broadens peoples tolerance for crazy entertainment, then maybe it is a good thing.

J. Merci said...

After the writers strike is over do you think all of these shows will come back better and stronger than ever? I have the feeling that Bionic Woman might not last long. I have to admitt I never read comic books but I am into the explianable myths of science. I like being creeped out a bewildered by Sci-Fi.
Technolgy is really taking the world by storm and I wish there were more t.v shows like Quantum Leap that teach us more about mortal value then technology. I really enjoy not so hight-tech, similar to that of the Star Wars movies. The first three were good hat were made in the 70's but the ones made 'today" were too mechanic.

J. Merci said...

(B) Bionic Women, Heroes, and Journeyman are popular t.v shows because they have excitement, adventure and some of the most advanced technology. i don't think technology is what makes a t.v show great. 7th Heaven, What I LIke About You, Family Ties, and even Full House are just as entertaining as Sci-Fi t.v shows just without all the technically stuff. I like the light comedy, not vulgar and inapproiate but wholesome and family friendly. I think people now a days want the exctement and the fast (in your face) movements so its like they are ecxperiencing it in the movie theater every time.

Ben E. said...

First of all I've been watching Phenomenon every week. It's easily one of the most entertaining shows on, whether just to laugh at the tricks the contestants come up with or the judges responses (the first episode I watched Criss Angel got into a fight with some guy.) I honestly don't understand how they perform some of the tricks that they do. I think it was Guy that I watched the other night bend a spoon and a traffic sign without touching it- I really don't understand how that works.

Brandon said...

I think these comic book based and science fiction based shows are so popular in today's culture because people like seeing these sort of nostalgic comic book stories on TV. And the fact that this is now made possible with new technology and mediums. This is also just a recurring popular theme in popular culture that NBC is taking advantage of.The campy humor and feel of some of these shows has been popular as of late in some movies and other shows.These shows are also new compared to shows that have been popular which people like because they are different.

justin said...

a) I like that the old comics are being put in to TV shows because it keeps the older generation of comics going. But some of these shows now a days are getting to foolish in there stories and makes the viewers the same way.What they see on TV is going to be what they want to do in day to day life.
B) The reason why the shows are getting more popular is because the kids that watch these shows don't want to read the books its much easier to watch it on TV. Also by watching TV they can get a better realistic version of it.

Ben E. said...

Part B's going to have to be it's own comment due to...technical difficulties. I think personally that these shows are so popular now because of the changing interests in todays viewers. They want interesting stories and in-depth characters. With everyone so involved in technology, I'd imagine that things would shift towards more sci-fi oriented shows. The fact that many shows are resembling comic books is nice- afterall, comic books have had some of the best stories and characters ever, why not capitalize on a part of the culture thats been around for a long time.

Spartan-117 said...

A. Heroes is the show I watch out of those three. The reason is because I don't really watch much TV other than on Mondays and Sundays. Ok so you say that it this season is lower quality, but after last nights episode, which I would say is the best ever, I don't see how you could say this. Actually I think the most of the episodes lately have been on fire. They seem to be moving right a long too. Which is a problem with how some shows just drag out instead of giving quality info. Lately I have noticed that TV shows are taking a step back in the entertainment world by becoming basically comic strips strung together and put through the projector. I see Heroes is a definite example of how this is product of comic books and how they influence both in the way that the paintings are made and how the tittle is presented.
B. These shows do more than just entertain they convey points that you see in everyday life. Like the relationship that takes place in Heroes that is seen in every day life just not so weird. These shows also remind people of simpler forms of entertainment and the times when heroes were a part if every day life. They are a way that people can get away from their lives and can relax.

Niecey45 said...

A.I do not watch any of these three shows and in fact, I haven't heard much of what these shows are about. Your blog helped me understand the main ideas of these three shows, and after reading your blog, I am considering watching only one of the three. I am considering about watching "Heroes". What day of the week is heroes on? What time is it on? Is there a lot of action in this show? After reading your blog, I have some interest in watching this show because you made it sound appealing. However, the other shows sound kind of odd and they don't catch my interest. I also agree that they are similar to comic books because the story lines seem like they would fit in a comic book perfectly. This is due to the science fiction story lines and the events that happen in the story. For example, it seems like someone that can fly would fit well in a comic book.
B. These aren't your normal shows because you have people that can stop time, and fly. These aren't your normal shows like 'King of Queens" or 'Everybody Loves Raymond" because the women in these shows are your normal everyday housewife who takes care of their kids and makes dinner every night. The women in these science fiction shows aren't normal women. They have robotic features and can kick a**. And even to top that, they are good looking too (Not being sexist). Also people may be sick of their normal everyday house show. People may be looking for more action in television shows, and these three shows deliver this request. These things contribute to the success of this show.

Ryan said...

A. I don't really watch much TV as I have a computer that can pretty much deliver all my media I'd ever want. However, The show "Heroes" sounds kind of interesting. I've heard all of the hype about the show and this only strengthens it. I'm still not sure what the whole point of "Heroes" is though... all I know is that it involves super-powered humans and sounds pretty cool.

B. TV nowadays definitely enjoys the presence of action and suspense in their shows and movies. I mean just look at the movies being released in theaters. Almost all of them are based around action and suspense. Also, about your comments on the comic "bookiness" of the shows... well, you also have to look at the movies that have been released over the past few years (Spiderman, Fantastic Four, the Hulk, Batman, etc.); they're all comic book figures and people seem to enjoy it, so why not implement the same idea into today's TV shows? I don't personally watch any of these shows like I said before, but all of them (as I've heard) do feature these qualities. No wonder why they're so successfully delivered to the public.

Tim Lens said...

There bringing back Sci-Fi and Comics! I guess they just figured it had been long enough that most people had forgotten about them, and we just got sick of reality TV. Time to move back to our fantasy worlds.
Obviously, there is a reason for all of this. Personally, I think it has to do with what seems like a recent explosive growth of new technologies. Everyone is looking to the future, and imagining cool, sci-fi like inventions (such as bionic people). I really don’t have any idea why comic book shows are back in style, other than the fact that they haven’t been in style for a while.
I have never seen any of these shows, but of all of them, I would want to watch Chuck. I love a good comedy, and spy stuff interests me, along with probably most guys. I probably won’t end up watching it though, as I don’t watch TV a lot.

tmracer513 said...

i think that bionic women is a great comic. back in the day and she wasnt talkd about for so long in my world intill now and i cant even belive that she is makeing a new show based on what use to be you know i dont watch tv alot but i might have to check and episode or two of the boionc women......

zschack said...

A) I do agree that these show are very comic book like, maybe they are produced by people (nerds) who read comic books all day long and just happen to be directors. Although I have never watched heroes my Mom and my brother are addicted to it, I think they get some sort of high from watching. I have also watched Bionic Woman, I thought it was okay, but I thought it was too stereotypical, I could predict just about what was going to happen. I have not watching the other shows so I cant say anything about them.
B) The reason why are so popular could be that its like a TV fad, a lot shows that have come on recently are very similar in nature. Its just the current fad, eventually hat might change, but who knows. They They also might be designed to appeal to the comic book/Star Trek people, who just happen to be a large audience. Also it might get people away from there boring 9-5 jobs and believe that more is out there, but still keeps people away from magic. Also it might have to do with all the advertising that these shows get, so a lot of people know about it and then watch.

crazykid2626 said...

a.I watched the show Journeyman, I thought it had an ok subject but the girl the travels with bugs me. I know its how shes written to act but i cant stand watching her. I don,t watch many TV shows, but I could get into this one if I sat down and fallowed the plot.

b.I think it is vary true that there are S.F. shows today but it like it . I think there is more of these shows because of some of the things that are going on the world right now , people want to get away from the real world and think about a world that people are making better like in all comic books there is always some on making the world better.

Antfo89 said...

When I read about this lineup I thought it was pretty interesting. Even though all of them are science fiction I think even for someone that isn't into science fiction would be into these. Some of these are kind of like real life situations with science fiction spins thrown into them. I think for comic book heads like some are into this too because like it said alot of new TV shows and even movies like Iron Man and Dare Devil from the company of MARVEL, it brings great interest to media to people that usually had there faces buried into a comic book.


_Fotion_

dukekicks098 said...

i have to say that i agree that TV shows today are pretty much based on old comic books. but think about it, how else are producers supposed to get ideas for their shows? There is just so many TV shows out there, is it possible that all the ideas are taken? To come up with an original idea, to me, seems virtually impossible.

I do not, however, think it is a bad thing that producers are "stealing" these ideas. now these fictional characters have become, in a sense, real.

Also to comment on your statement about "hot chicks in action" this is something that pretty much every TV show uses, i mean, come on, can anybody think of a TV show or even a Movie that the main character wasn't a "hot chick." for most people, how hot the chick is will raise their personal rating for the show... sad, but true. I think we can all agree that "Sex Sells" and it will always be that way.

Sean said...

I agree with the Duke guy that sex does sell and that having an attractive women as a lead character creates an appeal to viewers and gives them a different kind of interest towards the show when watching.

However i do think its possible to come up with an original idea. I think that people can create ideas but why do that when you have these story lines and plot and characters that people already are have interest in.

Antfo89 said...

I also agree with dukekicks. I think that most movies or shows now are "stolen" from comic books, but I think it is a good idea but I don't think it is virtually impossible but I will say it is possible because how did the comic book authors come up with the ideas? Also I thought that it might interest comic book readers from seeing just still images of there favorite super heroes to actually seeing them rescue, talk, and intereact with people. This might be pretty exciting for comic book heads and little kids that have dreamed of seeing this since they can remember.

Unknown said...

I agree with what dukekicks098 said about the TV shows not being original and how they use the ideas of old comic books, but I also think that there is a whole other reason for them to choose to make a TV show about the comic books.

I believe that many of the TV show creators make shows based on old comic books because that is what they grew up reading. They would be fulfilling a childhood dream in a sense by creating a show about, lets say, Spider Man. It's like they would be bringing their childhood hero's to life and in a way they also are showing children today a newer and better version of the hero's of the past. Many kids don't really get the older hero's because there older and not as cool looking, but the TV show creators will take these older hero's and sprusin them up a bit so kids today will like them more.

watcher 1 said...

I believe that the more seasons they put into todays series, the less interesting that series becomes. When you first watch a episode, you keep wondering what's going to happen next. As you watch more episodes, your questions get answered and the whole thing starts to get boring to watch.

cretin said...

These shows are awsome, and i see that you have good taste in media. in reading youre ideas i have to say support for these shows is needed by younger generations because they usually watch immature shows were as these are comedy and fantasy which expand on imagination and can use situations to express a piont

watcher 1 said...

I disagree and agree that movies based on comic books are good to watch. When you read a comic book, you see all the writer wanted to see and read. When someone makes a movie about that comic, they take allot of good stuff from the graphic novel you can't recognize what the movie is based on. The same thing is with movies based on books. I mean really, what the heck were they thinking when they made Eragon a movie. They cut out all the cool stuff.

jenn said...

After reading this blog it really makes me see what goes into the making of TV shows. This is a real eye opener. The bog was very well written!!!

Little Miss Kitty said...

I think that it was a good thing to bring up that some of the most popular movies and shows that are watched are based on science fiction, but i will agree that there are some really good books out there that these ideas come from. Some ideas are from old shows and comic books like batman and spider man, to raise interest the producers put action and much creativity and newer technology to make the movies much more interesting then the comic books would.