Tuesday, September 25, 2007

A 9-11 Media Moment

On my way to work on the morning of September 11, I turned on my local morning talk show (which airs on the all-talk/sports station). A song was playing, and it went on much longer than the usual clip. As I listened to the lyrics--"Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love"--I made the connection ("Let's roll") and remembered the date. The song seemed well-constructed, but the message seemed a bit too... something. I guess I felt it was feeding into celebration of those brave souls who fought against the hijackers on that fall day in 2001, as well as playing off of larger fear issues. It turned out to be by Neil Young. I was quite surprised that the man who brought us the ironic lines "We got a thousand points of light... for the homeless man/we got a kinder, gentler machine-gun hand" would present, maybe 14 years later, another song that is so... well, almost the opposite. In the earlier song, he was criticizing the presidency of the senior George Bush, using Bush’s famous inaugural speech ironically. The song ended, and there was no commentary. It seemed to be the closure on whatever they'd done for talk about 9/11.

I changed the channel and landed on the Free Beer and Hot Wings show, the generally sophomoric replacement for Imus on my local classic-rock station. Two men were debating the question of who was truly behind the attacks on September 11, 2001. One was the editor-in-chief of something called Skeptic magazine; he was putting forth an idea of conspiracy. The other fellow was on the other side, supporting the standard story (al-Qaeda, terrorists). Both were Ph.D.s. Both sounded reasonable and smart, at least up to a point. In about five minutes, however, neither fully addressed the other's points, and each engaged in some level of ad hominem attacks. The Skeptic fellow ended with commentary on the debris. Experts would have expected jet-fuel-caused collapse to result in 15 stories of debris; there were only about three. Also, there was a fine dust over Manhattan for days, and 1100 bodies were never recovered. Computers, furniture, steel, people had been vaporized, he said. So the causal mechanism (what a great phrase) had to be some higher-energy source. Then he made a leap--"probably something developed within the Star Wars program, something involving lasers, masers, or plasmoids [not sure about that last word]." That seemed to be a considerable leap of logic or faith. I’m not taking a stand here on the question of alternate possibilities regarding who and how these acts were perpetrated, just relating how this exchange struck me. And on the other side, the largest argument against conspiracy presented by the fellow supporting the standard story was that people can't keep their mouths shut--how would the truth not come out? He referenced the Lewinsky scandal and the Clinton impeachment--“There were only two involved in that event, and the story got out.” Again, this does not seem to me like clear and skillful debate. Rather intriguing for 15 minutes spent with radio personalities, no?

12 comments:

Em said...

I think the point of this blog was really how the world deals with 9/11 now and how they did deal with it then.The blog really just made me think about the world so I think I have to agree with the blog cause it really just made me want to explore more of how the world deals with things that happen.

Jordan said...

I think the point of this blog was to open the eyes of everyone that didn't really know what happened at the World Trade Centers. This Blog just made me think about how the families struggled with there losses.

Brandon said...

There has been alot of this in political debates, people just throwing personal attacts on each other instead of actually debating the issue. This is not the way ti should be, the arguements should be based on FACTS.

matt said...

i think em is right about some things but what im most worried about is why do we have to pay to rebuild other countery that we bomb or do something to.

Unknown said...

There have been many theories on who, what, and how 9/11 happened. This blog shows two people's opinions on how 9/11 happened and who they thought to be behind it. I don't think I could give an opinion on 9/11 only knowing things from what parents and few small news casts have told me. This blog opens your eyes on all the things that went into 9/11 and how many lives were taken but also sacraficed to serve terrible leaders.

Pointer 2 Pinky said...

The Debate they are having is based on the twin towers and who was behind it. The funny part is how you pointed out that no one can shut up. So the truth is out there. I don't completely understand your message but I feel like your message is that there are so many different stories which one can you believe in other words I agree with the truth of this message. I realized that it is based on listening to two men on the radio debating but at first I was thinking it was against Bush. It was a very interesting message because you were talking about the possibilities of conspiracy and weather its true or not. Or what to believe. In the end I kinda liked it but the topic is to far gone away. Besides the war it brought if the conspiracy is true someone will deny it.

Katie said...

When something big happens, everyone wants to know about it and wants to know the details. I agree with the above comment, it's way too far gone and I don't think that everyone will actually know the full truth about what happened and who was involved. It's pretty much gotten to the point for me that I'm all done trying to understand it and listening to all of the different theories just seems like a lost cause, waste of time, and pointless.

LaFamilia 05-$ said...

When I read Nicoles comment on “A 9/11 Media Moment” I instantly thought it was a good perspective in the ways she says that there are many different ideas on who and how they did it. I believe we will also never really now only because they a incinerated. But I disagree with the fact that it contributes to the benefits of the terrible leaders. Because now whoever we are chasing in the desserts is on the run. Whether for a good or bad reason others are suffering that dont deserve it either. Other than that I like her comment and I can almost completely agree.

beam89 said...

I think that everyone has an opinion on what had happened in 9/11. Personally I think that i do agree with the blog because their are so many theories of 9/11. The point of the blog though is to make everyone think about what happened that day and wants us to voice our opinion.

redsox said...

There are so many conspiracy theories out there that it is hard to trust them. Whether it be the moon landing or 9/11, people just seem like they want to make up a story, just to cause a stir.

Sarge said...

Im not so sure about the whole outside sourse of the dissaperance of the debris, I mean I guess you could take this into consideration but... I dont know.

Elise Louise said...

I find myself agreeing with Klaplante's response. I was in fourth grade when the attacks happened and still have never understood why they did. I don't have any reason to NOT believe the information on September 11, 2001 that I have been given, but one thought remains in my head; why and how could someone do this. Such a horrible act of killing, I don't understand and don't think I ever could. Thinking about September 11 upsets me more then anything, I continue to NOT find the answers I ask and just find more questions that need answers.